Equal Opportunity Cell
The district of Murshidabad is industrially backward. Agriculture is the main source of income of its population. Majority of them belong to BPL category. As such inequality is the major problem. Majority of our students are first generation learner. Berhampore college has been trying to do something to remove inequalities among the students. The Equal Opportunity Cell of Berhampore College is dedicated towards ensuring that persons from across community, regional and religious spectrums are able to access our pedagogical and extra -curricular resources and infrastructures with safety and dignity, and towards promoting diversity and inclusivity within and without the college. Hence, this Cell works for affirmative action amongst and for differently-abled persons, persons from SC, ST and OBC categories, persons from minority religions, and outstation students living in paying guest accommodations.
Aims and Objectives
To oversee the effective implementation of policies and programmes for disadvantages groups, to provide guidance and counselling with respect to academic, financial, social and other matters and to enhance the diversity within the campus.
- To ensure equity and equal opportunity to the community at large in the college and bring about social inclusion.
- To enhance the diversity among the students, teaching and non-teaching staff and at the same time eliminate the perception of discrimination.
- To create a socially congenial atmosphere for academic interaction and for the growth of healthy interpersonal relationships among the students coming from various social backgrounds.
- To make efforts to sensitize the academic community regarding the problems associated with social exclusion as well as aspirations of the marginalized communities.
- To help individuals or a group of students belonging to the disadvantaged section of society to contain the problems related to discrimination.
Child marriage is general phenomenon among the villagers of our district out of superstition though the situation is improving day by day with the expansion of education. Berhampore College ventured to do something in this regards and as such a seminar is conducted on ‘Child Marriage & Women Trafficking’ on 01-02-2019.